Aight so Willie Beats hosted a listening party for the release of Space Waves. I had some guests over so I decided beforehand to make some snacks! Ellen brought over some guac supplies so Ale whipped up some guac, but the main event was the miniature version of the dish I return to over and over again. The mini pizzas were a revelation I had while hanging with the roomies. The idea came to me piece by piece starting from Ale’s suggestion of pigs in a blanket. One thing led to another until I had come up with a nice little sausage pizza perfect for hands-on eating. When the party started and people began to trickle in, the pizzas began disappearing. By the end of the night they were all gone so I can only extrapolate that they were amazing and the best mini pizzas my guests had ever had. I got to use a bunch of farmer’s market ingreds like smoked mozzarella cheese sticks and arugula. The best part about them is that they are very easily customizable and very simple to make. Not to mention THEY MINI PIZZAS Y’ALL!
Prep time: 4 hours (includes allowing pizza dough to rise)
Cook time: 14 minutes
Makes 24 pizzas
2 lbs pizza dough (the full batch of dough)
2 sausages of your choosing (I used brats, but anything goes!)
1 cup pizza sauce
1/2 cup arugula leaves
3 smoked mozzarella cheese sticks
- Preheat oven to 475° Fahrenheit
- In a thick-bottomed pan over medium heat, drizzle some extra virgin olive oil and cook sausages. You can cut them prior to cooking them or after as long as the slices are about 1/4 of an inch thick.
- Fully cook the sausage and set aside to cool.
- Wash the arugula and coarsely chop.
- Tear the mozzarella cheese sticks, halving each strand 4 times and then dice the strands.
- Cut chunks of dough a bit smaller than a golf ball dusting them with flour and giving them a gluten cloak. Place onto 2 well greased baking sheets or if you have silicone mats, use those. Place twelve balls on each baking sheet.
- Take the pieces of slice sausage and press one into each ball of dough, like a thumbprint cookie.
- Put a pinch of arugula on top of each sausage.
- Spread a small spoon full of pizza sauce onto each pizza.
- Sprinkle cheese onto each pizza evenly.
- Place the baking sheets into the oven on racks set towards the middle.
- Let bake for 14 minutes or until cheese starts to brown a bit on top.
- Feel the liberation one can only get from not having to buy Bagel Bites ever again.
peace ‘n luv,